Senior Legal Counsel – ICG Global Cross Product Advisory and Transformation Initiatives
The Associate General Counsel Senior Group Manager is a senior management-level position responsible for accomplishing results through the management of a team or department to manage and direct day-to-day legal activities in coordination with the Legal team. The overall objective of this role is to provide legal support, advice and guidance across a broad range of practice areas.
- Evaluate employee performance and provide recommendations for pay increases, promotions, terminations, personnel-related matters, as applicable
- Oversee legal activities in a single geographic location, multiple countries and/or over multiple products within a discrete business, such as Investment Banking, Debt Capital Markets, Corporate Law, etc. or over an area of legal expertise such as, Litigation Regulatory, HR, IP, Employment, etc.
- Participate in strategic planning and development and contribute to business objectives by using knowledge of industry, laws and regulations
- Partner with business/functional line management in recommending, developing and executing business initiatives within permissible statutory and regulatory frameworks
- Manage day-to-day legal activities as a subject matter expert in area of responsibility and provide senior advisory services to business partners
- Negotiate, coordinate and monitor management of complex legal issues and make key decisions and provide strategic vision
- Manage day to day legal activities for area of responsibility
- Appropriately assess risk when business decisions are made, demonstrating particular consideration for the firm's reputation and safeguarding Citigroup, its clients and assets, by driving compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations, adhering to Policy, applying sound ethical judgment regarding personal behavior, conduct and business practices, and escalating, managing and reporting control issues with transparency, as well as effectively supervise the activity of others and create accountability with those who fail to maintain these standards.
- 15+ years of experience
- Experience in people management
- Banking or financial industry experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of laws and practices
- Proven analytical and organizational skills
- Consistently demonstrate clear and concise written and verbal communication
- Bar license in good standing to practice law
- Bachelor's degree/University degree or equivalent experience
- Master's degree preferred
The ICG Legal Department provides global legal coverage in relation to Citi’s Institutional Client Group (“ICG”) business activities. These activities include corporate and institutional lending, investment banking, capital markets, treasury and trade solutions, private banking and markets and securities related products and services. The ICG Infrastructure and Cross Product Initiatives Legal team (“ICPI Legal”) has been recently established to partner alongside the specialist product advisory ICG Legal teams on cross product matters and to provide focused coverage to ICG’s Risk and Controls Department. Amongst other things, the ICPI Legal team’s focus is upon the design and implementation of various ICG-wide regulatory, control and governance driven initiatives and business change projects (including those arising from the Fed/OCC Consent Orders); ICG Legal infrastructure and legal project management; ICG cross product regulatory and thematic legal advice; ICG legal entity booking models; and ICG Legal technology and electronic solutions.
The Global Cross Product Advisory and Transformation Initiatives sub-team within ICPI Legal provides advice in relation to a wide range of regulatory requirements, developments and cross product themes and takes on a core advisory and leadership role in relation to business change projects and other strategic initiatives. Amongst the areas of focus include: the regulatory perimeter, global booking models and legal entity strategy, financial infrastructure (markets and payments), business conduct, public policy and advocacy support, digital innovation and ICG strategic investment activity. Relevant business change projects and initiatives align with the ICG Risk and Controls transformation agenda and ICG cross product business priorities. OCC/Fed Consent Order related activities will also be in scope, from an ICG Legal perspective.
The ICPI Legal team requires a senior lawyer to act as the global ICG-wide lead on certain major regulatory, transformational and business change projects taking primary ownership and accountability in respect of legal regulatory advisory matters, and additionally act as the Asia Pacific lead to support colleagues on regional matters for regulatory and business change projects. The individual will also be the primary lawyer for ICG’s principal strategic investment activities outside North America. Responsibilities are expected to evolve over time having regard for regulatory, commercial and technological developments impacting on ICG, but initial responsibilities are expected to include:
- leading ICG Legal globally advising on certain regulatory and business change projects: working on initial impact analysis to ICG business lines and Citi legal entities and supporting implementation plans through the provision of ongoing legal and regulatory advice to internal stakeholders on the project;
- acting as APAC regional lead advising on certain other ICG regulatory and business change projects (for example, ICG Risks & Controls, Legal Entity Control Enhancement or ICG booking model optimisation strategies) and the OCC/Fed Consent Order transformation, in conjunction with ICPI Legal colleagues in other regions;
- acting as subject-matter expert in the APAC time zone for certain existing global financial services regulatory queries from ICG business lines and product lawyers (for example, Dodd-Frank, EMIR and equivalents);
- identifying and advising upon new regulatory developments and horizon scanning in the APAC region that may have impact across ICG business lines and in conjunction with regional and global colleagues supporting business lines on regulatory change implementation;
- supporting Citi Government & Public Affairs and other stakeholders on advocacy initiatives with industry associations and regulators in respect of regulatory developments, including assisting in the development of responses to consultation papers to regulators and policy-makers, attendance at legal-focused industry association working groups and meetings with regulators, in respect of banking and financial services regulation in the APAC region and globally;
- providing legal transactional advice on ICG’s principal strategic equity investments activity outside North America, in conjunction with colleagues in other regions; and
- providing training and education for management and ICG Legal product lawyers on regulatory developments globally and in the region – this will involve working on presentation materials providing presentations to ICG legal colleagues, APAC country counsel and business areas.
Job Family Group:Legal
Job Family:General Legal
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries ("Citi”) invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi.
View the EEO Policy Statement.
View the Pay Transparency Posting
Join our team
strong diverse employees
Socially minded employees volunteering in communities across 90 countries
Meaningful career opportunities thanks to a physical presence in over 98 markets
We foster a culture that embraces all individuals and encourages diverse perspectives, where you can make an impact and grow your career. At Citi, we value colleagues that demonstrate high professional standards, a strong sense of integrity and generosity, intellectual curiosity, and rigor. We recognize the importance of owning your career, with the commitment that if you do, we promise to meet you more than half way.
You have no saved jobs
Previously Viewed Jobs
You have no viewed jobs