SVP, Head of Mortgage Underwriting and Credit Initiation
The Head of Mortgage Underwriting and Credit Initiation will oversee the daily underwriting operations and strategic development of a business that leads the mortgage industry in delivery, customer service, timeliness, quality, unit cost efficiency, and the hiring and retention of strong leaders. This role will work closely with mortgage operations leaders to balance underwriting production resources to ensure business goals across channels are effectively met. This role will partner with the risk department and be the face of operations in all matters regarding underwriting quality, while seeking out opportunities in credit policy to improve both underwriting turn times and client experience. This executive leader will also be responsible for driving technology, automation, and process changes within underwriting to further increase efficiencies within the department.
The Head of Mortgage Underwriting and Credit Initiation will play a significant role in the adherence to regulatory, compliance and control priorities across the mortgage business and Citi. This role will be required to present and answer questions about the underwriting process to both senior internal stakeholders as well as external regulators. The candidate must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and simultaneously juggle many priorities to ensure all deliverables are met. The ideal candidate will have a strong background of leading underwriting operations, including during periods of tremendous change, understanding credit policy for various loan products, and have a proven track record of improving results in the underwriting process. The candidate should be viewed as a credible business partner to the USRB leadership team and able to effectively influence.
- Responsible for the development, implementation and governance of a comprehensive framework used to manage underwriting and residential real estate credit risk
- Manage the underwriting process, pipeline, loan quality, personnel, and deal structuring of mortgage transactions
- Manage workflow and monitor daily productivity, ensure proper controls and procedures are documented, maintained and followed and identify trends
- Accountable for end results, budgeting, planning, policy and procedure formulation, and contribution to future strategy in Underwriting.
- Establish goals and objectives for the department, ensuring proper controls and procedures exist for timely and accurate processing of credit reviews while maintaining an environment focused on credit quality, service, accuracy and efficiency.
- Manage compliance, business and independent risk controls as required and/or needed
- Partner with credit risk to analyze and provide credit recommendations and guidance to senior leadership
- Create and foster an environment of teamwork, camaraderie and professional growth and development
- Routine interactions with Sales, Compliance, Legal, Credit Risk, Independent Risk, and Senior Management to accomplish business objectives
- Makes recommendations to enhance credit policy to meet business needs
- Hire, manage, coach and constantly evaluate the team members and leadership team
- Prepare and issue senior management reports and deliver presentations to large audiences
- Responds to Quality Control, Compliance Testing and Internal and External Audit findings
- Promotes a culture of collaboration and teamwork across organizational boundaries; willing to break down functional silos to optimize business results and to facilitate the overall growth of the franchise.
- Executive Communication skills. Ability to write clear proposals, project plans, and presentations.
- Proven experience in engaging and nurturing successful relationships with other stakeholders
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills. Ability to explore alternatives and positions to reach outcomes that are supported and accepted by various parties.
- Proactive and dynamic with a strategic mindset. Able to identify and resolve issues quickly and effectively.
- Ability to work effectively in situations requiring analytical, interpretive and problem-solving techniques.
Qualifications / Experience Required
- 10+ years underwriting leadership experience managing high performing teams, preferably in a banking environment
- Excellent knowledge of mortgage compliance in general, and specific underwriting compliance
- Strong analytical skills, including financial analysis of complex information e.g. corporate cash flows, multiple sources of personal income, structuring complex mortgage or other financing transactions
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize information, prioritize business goals and drive results with a high sense of urgency
- Strong interpersonal, influencing and written/verbal communications skills.
- Outstanding people leadership skills, able to envision an enhanced future state and motivate and inspire others to create it.
- Pragmatic problem solver, forward thinker with independence of thought.
- Ability to create support and buy-in across a wide range of stakeholders; create a strong network of relationships among peers, internal partners, external constituencies and decision makers.
- Aptitude to work independently as well as with a team with minimal direction in a fast-paced, changing environment - excellent prioritization skills a must.
- Bachelor’s degree/University degree or equivalent experience
- Master’s degree preferred
Job Family Group:Consumer Sales
Job Family:Consumer Sales Support
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries ("Citi”) invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi.
View the EEO Policy Statement.
View the Pay Transparency Posting
Effective November 1, 2021, Citi requires that all successful applicants for positions located in the United States or Puerto Rico be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment and provide proof of such vaccination prior to commencement of employment.
Join our team
strong diverse employees
Socially minded employees volunteering in communities across 90 countries
Meaningful career opportunities thanks to a physical presence in over 98 markets
We foster a culture that embraces all individuals and encourages diverse perspectives, where you can make an impact and grow your career. At Citi, we value colleagues that demonstrate high professional standards, a strong sense of integrity and generosity, intellectual curiosity, and rigor. We recognize the importance of owning your career, with the commitment that if you do, we promise to meet you more than half way.
You have no saved jobs
Previously Viewed Jobs
You have no viewed jobs