Assistant General Counsel – ICG Global Cross Product Advisory and Transformation Initiatives
The ICG Legal Department provides global legal coverage in relation to Citi’s Institutional Client Group (“ICG”) business activities. These activities include corporate and institutional lending, investment banking, capital markets, treasury and trade solutions, private banking and markets and securities related products and services. The ICG Infrastructure and Cross Product Initiatives Legal team partners alongside the specialist product advisory ICG Legal teams, country and corporate counsel on cross product matters and provides coverage to ICG’s Risk and Controls Department. Amongst other things, the Infrastructure and Cross Product Initiatives Legal team’s focus is upon the design and implementation of various ICG-wide regulatory, control and governance driven initiatives and business change projects (including those relating to the Citi Transformation and LIBOR reform); ICG Legal infrastructure and legal project management; ICG cross product regulatory and thematic legal advice; ICG legal entity booking models; and ICG Legal technology and electronic solutions.
The ICGGlobal Cross Product Advisory and Transformation Initiatives sub-team within Infrastructure and Cross Products Initiatives Legal provides advice in relation to a wide range of regulatory requirements, developments and cross product themes and takes on a core advisory and leadership role in relation to regulatory and business change projects and other strategic initiatives. Amongst the areas of focus are major cross-product regulatory change programs, the regulatory perimeter, global booking models and legal entity strategy, financial infrastructure (markets and payments), business conduct, public policy and advocacy support, digital innovation and ICG strategic investment activity.
The team requires a senior lawyer who will provide focused legal coverage in relation to major regulatory, transformational and business change projects. Responsibilities are expected to evolve over time having regard for regulatory, commercial and technological developments impacting ICG, but initial responsibilities are expected to include assisting in Citi ICG’s LIBOR reform implementation and other global and North America cross-product initiatives. The individual should have a very strong knowledge of financial products and services (with experience working in the capital markets, derivatives and/or corporate lending areas), not only in terms of legal documentation but in understanding the commercial drivers for particular financial products and services.
The individual should be highly versatile with a broad skillset across banking and financial markets products and wide experience gained in a combination of private practice law firm and/or industry experience working in financial services. Cross-border transactional experience is also desirable.
Prior experience working on large scale regulatory-driven projects would be highly regarded.
The individual will have responsibility for a variety of key activities in respect of major regulatory, transformational and business change projects impacting ICG globally and within North America , including the following responsibilities with respect to such projects:
- advising Citi ICG lawyers, Citi project management and commercial teams globally;
- providing regular and succinct updates on developments to ICG Legal and key ICG internal stakeholders;
- providing legal support at ICG platinum client meetings;
- leading ICG Legal’s interaction with external counsel and managing required legal advice and implementation and regulatory matters;
- providing legal support with respect to meetings with regulators;
- providing legal input as necessary with respect to Citi’s responses to industry consultations and regulators and participation in industry association calls on behalf of Citi;
- acting as an escalation point for project implementation teams and external service providers on necessary changes in respect of banking and financing client documentation;
- acting as liaison and coordinator between ICG Legal and different Citi project management and implementation teams;
- reporting on key documentation issues to internal stakeholders; and
- project management and coordination of various lawyers and paralegals within the ICG Legal team globally.
Projects within the scope of the individual’s responsibility will initially include LIBOR reform and will extend to other North America and global cross-product regulatory, transformation, and business change projects. This role requires a committed effort to stay abreast of the regulatory and legal environment, internal policies, and industry trends that impact the ICG businesses.
- 7+ years of experience
- A very strong knowledge of corporate lending, capital markets or financial markets and derivatives products, and associated legal documentation.
- Experience in banking and finance transactional work, including cross-border experience and knowledge of financial services regulation.
- Experience working in a major bank and large law firm experience preferred..
- Experience in large scale financial regulatory projects highly preferred (such as Dodd-Frank or LIBOR).
- Strong project management and organizational experience in designing and managing processes.
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral), managing stakeholders at senior levels.
- Ability to think laterally to find solutions.
- Good business judgment and commercial aptitude.
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment, with availability during some “non-business” hours to accommodate global team.
- J.D. obtained in the United States
- Attorney admitted to practice in the State of New York
Job Family Group:Legal
Job Family:General Legal
Time Type:Full time
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries ("Citi”) invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi.
View the EEO Policy Statement.
View the Pay Transparency Posting
Effective November 1, 2021, Citi requires that all successful applicants for positions located in the United States or Puerto Rico be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment and provide proof of such vaccination prior to commencement of employment.
Join our team
strong diverse employees
Socially minded employees volunteering in communities across 90 countries
Meaningful career opportunities thanks to a physical presence in over 98 markets
We foster a culture that embraces all individuals and encourages diverse perspectives, where you can make an impact and grow your career. At Citi, we value colleagues that demonstrate high professional standards, a strong sense of integrity and generosity, intellectual curiosity, and rigor. We recognize the importance of owning your career, with the commitment that if you do, we promise to meet you more than half way.
You have no saved jobs
Previously Viewed Jobs
You have no viewed jobs