North America Chief Real Estate Appraiser
The Real Estate Risk Exec Grp Mgr manages multiple teams of senior real estate appraisers through other senior managers. The job requires a broad and comprehensive understanding of the different systems, theories and practices relevant to the function as well as practical experience of multiple business cycles. By regulation, the incumbent must be a licensed real estate appraiser as defined by U.S. Regulations. In-depth knowledge of the industry and direct competitors' products/services is also necessary in order to contribute to the commercial objectives of the business. Requires thorough understanding of strategic direction of the function within the business, combined with a solid conceptual/practical grounding in both the function and/ or area of expertise. Excellent communication skills required in order to influence a wide range of audiences. The job will involve both internal and external negotiations which will have a major impact on the area managed, and possibly on other related areas and organization as a whole. Develops medium- to long-term plans and executes functional strategies for a large/complex individual transactions and portfolio deals requiring coordination and integration across units. Provides input into strategic decisions affecting job family or function within a region or business. Full management responsibility of multiple teams, including management of people, budget and planning. Has authority to negotiate and make independent decisions on issues/activities that have critical impact or influence on Citi's Risk, capital or business operations. Reports to the Global Collateral Risk Head and sits on Risk Leadership and governance committees.
- Manages a team overseeing RE appraisals for collateral taken in connection with real estate activities which includes extension of credit that are secured by liens on or interests in real estate, direct and indirect private equity and public market real estate investments, capital markets, construction lending, or an asset sale, or a refinancing is contemplated as a first or second way out.
- Strategically applies analytical thinking and subject matter expertise to real estate and capital markets matters.
- Partner with Regional Risk heads and global product head(s). Builds partnerships across functions/regions; collaborates with others to identify problems, provide solutions, and reach agreements. Influences decisions that have impact on company revenues and assets
- Participate in all relevant regulatory calls and structuring discussions. Ensure that all risk and relevant return issues are fully vetted and properly addressed or elevated.
- Process all necessary challenge and approvals of complex appraisalsin a timely but responsible manner ensuring that the transactions meet all necessary Policy and Standards requirements.
- Participate in all appropriate meetings and property visits to ensure level of due diligence is completed and to maintain market knowledge.
- Work closely with internal auditors and outside regulators to ensure all appropriate compliance requirements are maintained.
- Work with regional risk/PM’s to complete detailed portfolio appraisals.
- Involvement with senior business and risk management in all regions to ensure full understanding of the issues that are of key concern for the product.
- Stay ahead of the market with an understanding of the effective valuations, competitive loan structuring and market supply/demand component.
- Subject matter expert in risk systems infrastructure including key processes, coverage and data flows in order to identify risk effectively. Analyzes risk. Suggests alternatives to improve Citi's position/approach.
- Assesses the spectrum of risks and how those risks arise.
- Creates risk mitigation plans and is able to identify early problem detection and prescribed recommended remedial action planning.
- Negotiates (internally and externally) complex products and tools that maintain large impact to the Citi enterprise. Responds to tactics and keeps negotiations on track
- Adds value with subject matter expertise of Key Risk Indicators that are relevant to the areas covered; understands how they are collected; identifies deviations for acceptable levels/trends.
- Establishes plans of action based on complex knowledge of different markets, products, strategies, analytical tools, financial and risk databases and associated risks.
- Leading and managing a staff of Real Estate appraisal professionals, with direct accountability for hiring and organizational structure. Has direct oversight for compensation, performance appraisals, staff development, training, etc. Provides input on performance and compensation recommendations for Real Estate officers and utilities that provide Real Estate-related services on a matrix basis. This position requires a keen interest in both real estate and capital markets as well as affordable housing and community development.
- Appropriately assess risk when business decisions are made, demonstrating particular consideration for the firm's reputation and safeguarding Citigroup, its clients and assets, by driving compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations, adhering to Policy, applying sound ethical judgment regarding personal behavior, conduct and business practices, and escalating, managing and reporting control issues with transparency, as well as effectively supervise the activity of others and create accountability with those who fail to maintain these standards.
- 15+ years previous experience in the Financial Services industry or Masters/Advanced degree,
- MAI designation from the Appraisal Institute
- Possess complex and diverse knowledge of RE Appraisals, knowledge of Citi is a plus. Technical expertise, expert knowledge of products, tools and associated risks. Excellent ability to communicate and negotiate in a cross functional environment. Ability to influence senior executives and key clients – internally or externally. Highly developed project management abilities. Comprehensive understanding of applicable industry regulations and standards (i.e., USPAP, FIRREA, ASTM).
- Bachelor’s/University degree, Master’s degree preferred; managerial experience
This job description provides a high-level review of the types of work performed. Other job-related duties may be assigned as required.
Job Family Group:Risk Management
Job Family:Real Estate Risk
Time Type:Full time
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries ("Citi”) invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi.
View the EEO Policy Statement.
View the Pay Transparency Posting
Effective November 1, 2021, Citi requires that all successful applicants for positions located in the United States or Puerto Rico be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment and provide proof of such vaccination prior to commencement of employment.
Join our team
strong diverse employees
Socially minded employees volunteering in communities across 90 countries
Meaningful career opportunities thanks to a physical presence in over 95 markets
We foster a culture that embraces all individuals and encourages diverse perspectives, where you can make an impact and grow your career. At Citi, we value colleagues that demonstrate high professional standards, a strong sense of integrity and generosity, intellectual curiosity, and rigor. We recognize the importance of owning your career, with the commitment that if you do, we promise to meet you more than half way.
You have no saved jobs
Previously Viewed Jobs
You have no viewed jobs