Senior Legal Counsel – Corporate Equities Derivatives Lawyer
Award-winning Equity Derivatives business – 3-6 PQE / UK qualified lawyer
The EMEA Legal division is a critical part of the Citi organisation and many of the processes within Citi. It provides a wide range of services, support and advice to many business areas, including general advice, transaction negotiation, document drafting and execution, as well as oversight of regulatory developments and requirements.
Legal counsel to the EMEA Strategic Equity Solutions business.
The position offers a commercially-minded finance lawyer the opportunity to join the legal team in London covering the EMEA Strategic Equity Solutions business within the Markets division of Citi’s Institutional Clients Group (ICG). The team advises on the full range of securities financing transactions, including repos, structured margin lending (including LP financing) and derivative-based financings over listed equities; OTC derivatives structures from vanilla trades on liquid equities to heavily structured trades on less liquid asset classes; and deal syndications through credit default swaps and sub-participations. The team also advises on structured share buybacks, strategic share disposals and acquisitions by EMEA corporates and institutional clients.
The role will involve the provision of legal advice to and generally supporting the EMEA Strategic Equity Solutions business as part of the wider Markets and Securities Services Legal function.
The Legal team supporting the Strategic Equity Solutions (SES) business is a key partner of the business, advising on legal and regulatory issues applicable to overall business strategy, legal and franchise risks, in addition to documenting new products and transaction execution. The role involves providing timely advice on legal and regulatory issues as an intrinsic part of the product development process. As such, it will provide the successful candidate with exposure to cutting-edge derivatives and financing techniques, regulatory considerations and developments. As the business operates on a global basis, the role will involve direct responsibility for transactions in EMEA and regular contact with colleagues in the US and Asia.
Key aspects of the role include:
- Advising on the legal aspects of securities financing transactions and corporate equity derivative transactions
- Working in close partnership with the SES business to develop optimal legal structures for transactions
- Development and management of relationships with external legal counsel in multiple jurisdictions
- Advising on regulatory developments and providing general legal advice and assistance to the SES business
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating documentation for a range of equity derivative and structured financing products
- Assisting in the development of template documents, such as term sheets and confirmations
- Liaison with other members of Legal and Compliance and with other internal functions
- Performing legal risk management and control by ensuring that Citi’s legal policies and guidelines are complied with and developing new polices and guidelines where appropriate
- Providing training to the front office, functions and other team members within Markets Legal on legal, regulatory and documentation issues
As part of their involvement in various transactions and projects, the successful candidate will be expected to take ownership for appropriately managing the institution’s legal risk. As part of the internal control architecture of the firm, the Legal function plays an important role in the approval process for all new and/or innovative products as well as protecting the Citi franchise through good judgment and compliance with firm-wide policies.
In addition to excellent analytical ability and good judgment, the successful candidate will have a strong interest in financial markets and products enabling them to partner effectively with structurers, traders, client relationship managers and internal control functions.
- A technically challenging and highly rewarding role which offers the opportunity to work on equity derivatives and structured financing transactions of the highest quality both from a technical and commercial perspective
- Working exceptionally closely with structurers, traders and sales teams at all stages of the product life cycle from product design through to execution and beyond, the role will enable the successful candidate to develop a high level of specialist legal expertise in derivatives and structured finance products
- The role will also allow the jobholder to develop an understanding of the tax, regulatory, corporate, accounting, risk and other aspects of the business in a way which will assist them into developing into the role of a senior legal risk manager at one of the world’s premier financial institutions
- The jobholder will be involved in the design of new products and processes
- The jobholder will be judged on his/her ability to take immediate control over current open issues and to resolve those issues within a reasonable time period
- The jobholder must be prepared to handle difficult discussions with senior trading management. On some occasions, the jobholder may have to advise senior management that proposed activities are not possible or that current practices need to change
- Transaction experience/product knowledge in Derivatives (preferably equities) and/or Margin Loans (including LMA standard documentation)
- ISDA documentation experience at transactional level (collars, forwards, total return swaps)
- ISDA documentation general experience at Master Agreement level
- Broad knowledge of financial services legal and regulatory issues
- English law qualified lawyer
- 3-6 PQE in banking AND/OR Derivatives
- Post-qualification experience of structuring transactions and drafting documentation for derivatives and/or structured finance transactions gained at an international law firm and/or leading financial institution
- Excellent technical skills, including drafting skills, and analytical ability
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral), to perform a role with a high degree of front office contact and negotiate documentation with clients
- Good business judgement and commercial aptitude
- Strong time management and prioritisation skills
- Ability to work as part of a team, since s/he will be working with a range of different people across several jurisdictions within the bank
- The ability to work in an organised and disciplined manner is a key requirement of the job. In addition, the jobholder will have an analytical, legal mind with problem solving skills
- Ability to respond to competing workplace demands and remain resilient under pressure
- Ability to work both as part of a team and to proactively take individual responsibility for projects
- Project management skills and attention to detail
Job Family Group:Legal
Job Family:General Legal
Time Type:Full time
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries ("Citi”) invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi.
View the EEO Policy Statement.
View the Pay Transparency Posting
Join our team
strong diverse employees
Socially minded employees volunteering in communities across 90 countries
Meaningful career opportunities thanks to a physical presence in over 98 markets
We foster a culture that embraces all individuals and encourages diverse perspectives, where you can make an impact and grow your career. At Citi, we value colleagues that demonstrate high professional standards, a strong sense of integrity and generosity, intellectual curiosity, and rigor. We recognize the importance of owning your career, with the commitment that if you do, we promise to meet you more than half way.
You have no saved jobs
Previously Viewed Jobs
You have no viewed jobs