Senior Counsel - M&A
The position of Senior Counsel M&A offers an opportunity to work on a broad range of very high quality and challenging matters as part of the M&A Legal team, which is responsible for legal advice to the investment bank on all M&A advisory assignments.The role supports the entire region EMEA IB Business and provides the successful candidate with an excellent opportunity to act as key partner to the EMEA investment banking team.
Legal counsel to the Investment banking / M&A advisory business. Provide legal advice to Citi’s Banking, Capital Markets and Advisory (BCMA) business in the EMEA region relevant for M&A advisory work. That is, responsibility for delivering legally and commercially sound advice to the investment bank in relation to its work on M&A transactions in the region.
Work closely with the Firm’s (other) Legal and Compliance staff in London, New York and Hong Kong, especially with the M&A legal teams in those regions to ensure that policies, practices, procedures and precedent documents are up to date and compliant with latest developments in case law and legislation relevant for the M&A advsiory business.
The role is is a senior legal counsel role in Citi’s EMEA Investment Banking Legal team which is part of the broader Banking, Capital Markets and Advisory Legal group (BCMA Legal). BCMA Legal provides legal coverage and support across EMEA for Citi’s Investment Banking and Mergers & Acquisitions teams); the Equity Capital Markets business; the Debt Capital Markets business (which includes securitisation, real estate and structured finance); and the Issuer Services business.
Citi’s M&A advisory and Investmenbanking Business is a market-leading business in EMEA. Citi acts as financial advisor on large cross-border M&A transactions for a wide variety of corporate clients.
- The primary role of the successful candidate will be to liaise directly with the EMEA investment bankers to understand the nature and structure of the M&A transactions on which Citi is advising and to accurately identify, assess and escalate or deal with in a timely manner the risks, exposures or liabilities that Citi may face in relation to such transactions.
- Candidate will be closely involved in reviewing and negotiating IB transaction documentation (NDAs, engagement letters, documents and annoucements naming Citi) and will be consulted at the pre-mandate stage in order to provide structuring advice and to anticipate potential legal hurdles. Will also interact and manage outside legal counsel when Citi requires own advice during transaction execution.
- Investment banking legal (together with the rest of BCMA Legal) plays a prominent role in Citi’s control architecture and, working alongside compliance, AML, the Control Group and other functions, is involved in ensuring compliance with Citi policies and procedures to protect, amongst other things, Citi’s reputation and franchise. As such commercial awareness, a questioning mind, attention to detail and good judgement are essential skills.
- Candidate may also be required to provide legal input on non-transactional matters, including regulatory and other market developments and will have contact with legal and compliance officers throughout the region, as well as with external legal counsel and clients of Citi.
The successful candidate would
- learn to manage legal risk in a large variety of scenarios typical of a top tier international investment bank;
- come into contact with internal processes and structures across the bank as well as dealing with other groups within legal;
- learn to escalate material issues to senior team members and then on to senior management within the bank;
- have the opportunity to expand their product knowledge and experience of challenging jurisdictions;
- be encouraged to attend training courses covering a broad range of activities related to transaction management such as due diligence, financials analysis, negotiation skills as well as having access to broader group wide training available to lawyers in the General Counsel's Office in London.
Generally, the role provides exposure to some of the largest, high profile, complex M&A transactions in the EMEA market as well as to banking professionals in the entire regionand leading legal industry players at other banks and at law firms.
- Qualified lawyer, either UK solicitor or barrister or equivalent in other jurisdictions if have practical knowledge of UK practice
- Minimum 3-5 years job experience in an international law firm, specific in corporate law / M&A department (candidates that have worked either on secondment or since leaving their law firm would also be desirable) or as in-house lawyer at a securities firm / investment bank
English-speaking, additional language skills would be a plus
- Strong academics, preferably with in-house experience gained either in a current position or through secondment
- Strong knowledge and/or understanding of the structure and execution of M&A transactions
- Experience with public M&A transactions
- Familiarity with investment bank documentation and market practice
- Excellent technical skills and analytical ability
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) and client and time management skills
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and without supervision where appropriate
- Strong business judgment and commercial attitude.
- High performance and motivation level.
- Ability to work under pressure and poise, good time management skills.
- Good attention to detail.
- Co-operative, team-oriented style.
- Bachelor's degree/University degree
- Master's degree preferred
Exceptional candidates who do not meet these criteria may be considered for the role provided they have the necessary skills and experience.
This job description provides a high-level review of the types of work performed. Other job-related duties may be assigned as required.
Job Family Group:Legal
Job Family:General Legal
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries ("Citi”) invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi.
View the EEO Policy Statement.
View the Pay Transparency Posting
Join our team
strong diverse employees
Socially minded employees volunteering in communities across 90 countries
Meaningful career opportunities thanks to a physical presence in over 98 markets
We foster a culture that embraces all individuals and encourages diverse perspectives, where you can make an impact and grow your career. At Citi, we value colleagues that demonstrate high professional standards, a strong sense of integrity and generosity, intellectual curiosity, and rigor. We recognize the importance of owning your career, with the commitment that if you do, we promise to meet you more than half way.
You have no saved jobs
Previously Viewed Jobs
You have no viewed jobs