Legal Infrastructure - Senior Opinion Counsel
Overview of Citi
Citi, the world leading global bank, has approximately 200 million customer accounts and a presence in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions worldwide. Citi provides consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial products and services, including consumer banking and credit, corporate and investment banking, securities brokerage, transaction services, and wealth management. Citi enables clients to achieve their strategic financial objectives by providing them with cutting-edge ideas, best-in-class products and solutions, and unparalleled access to capital and liquidity.
The Assistant General Counsel is a senior management-level position responsible for accomplishing results through the management of a team or department to manage and direct day-to-day legal activities in coordination with the Legal team. The overall objective of this role is to provide legal support, advice and guidance across a broad range of practice areas.
An opportunity has arisen in the ICPI Legal team for a senior role in the management of critical legal processes in the ICG Global Risk and Control Legal team. In particular, the successful candidate will manage a team in the procurement, review, approval and ongoing maintenance of legal opinions which are relied on by Citi in determining the legal Well-Founded Basis (“WFB”) standard which supports Citi’s regulatory capital reporting in relation to derivatives and securities financing transactions. Responsibilities are expected to evolve over time having regard for regulatory, commercial and technological developments impacting on ICG, but initial responsibilities will include:
- Manage a team of legal opinion reviewers to ensure the continued observance of the global processes with respect to ensuring that legal analyses meet the relevant WFB standard
- Engaging and working closely with global legal colleagues to implement processes which support and facilitate the commercial objectives of the business in processing requests for new legal opinions and approval of the WFB standard in a timely manner
- Working with internal and external counsel to ensure appropriate coverage in the WFB legal opinions and facilitating engagement of external local counsel where appropriate
- Ensuring co-ordination with relevant stakeholders in the completion of monthly, quarterly and annual control processes on a global basis and timely escalation of any issues
- Implementing enhanced risk management infrastructure, including the development of technology, across ICG Legal geographies and products to ensure efficient and effective reporting and audit trail in relation to WFB legal opinion approval and maintenance
- knowledge of capital requirements legislation as it applies to the legal requirements for derivative and securities financing documentation and arrangements
- close familiarity with external legal opinions, including permissible assumptions and comfort levels
- thorough understanding of the legal issues underpinning the WFB legal standards, including bankruptcy, security interest/title transfer, and netting/setoff issues
- experience responding to regulatory inquiries and requirements
- 10+ years of experience
- Banking/financial industry experience or experience from big law firm
- Proven analytical and organizational skills
- Consistently demonstrate clear and concise written and verbal communication
- Risk and control management experience
- Solicitor qualified in England and Wales or equivalent from another jurisdiction with a right to practice in England and Wales
Exceptional candidates who do not meet these criteria may be considered for the role provided they have the necessary skills and experience.
- Bachelor's degree/University degree or equivalent experience
What we Offer
As well as a competitive salary and consideration for a yearly discretionary bonus Citi offer;
- 23 days paid annual leave
- Award winning pension scheme,
- Life assurance and
- Private medical insurance with Bupa healthcare.
In addition, we offer a competitive maternity, paternity and adoption leave scheme. We pride ourselves on our ability to offer employees a number of lifestyle benefits including; on site restaurant and coffee shops, online shopping and concierge service and subsidised clubs and societies.
Our Select benefit package offers you the opportunity to customise your benefits according to your own lifestyle preferences and includes corporate discounts, memberships and a range of additional extras.
Our vast range of diversity networks and on site multi faith room demonstrates Citi’s commitment to growing a diverse workforce.
Job Family Group:Legal
Job Family:General Legal
Time Type:Full time
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries ("Citi”) invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi.
View the EEO Policy Statement.
View the Pay Transparency Posting
Join our team
strong diverse employees
Socially minded employees volunteering in communities across 90 countries
Meaningful career opportunities thanks to a physical presence in over 95 markets
We foster a culture that embraces all individuals and encourages diverse perspectives, where you can make an impact and grow your career. At Citi, we value colleagues that demonstrate high professional standards, a strong sense of integrity and generosity, intellectual curiosity, and rigor. We recognize the importance of owning your career, with the commitment that if you do, we promise to meet you more than half way.
You have no saved jobs
Previously Viewed Jobs
You have no viewed jobs