VP, Operational Risk Officer I - Consumer Mortgage
Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 200 million customer accounts who does business in over 100 countries and jurisdictions worldwide. Citi provides consumers, corporations, governments, and institutions with a broad range of financial products and services, including consumer banking and credit, corporate and investment banking, securities brokerage, transaction services, and wealth management. Our core activities are safeguarding assets, lending money, making payments, and accessing the capital markets on behalf of our clients.
Citi’s Mission and Value Proposition explains what we do, and our Leadership Principles explain how we do it. Our mission is to serve as a trusted partner to our clients by responsibly providing financial services that enable growth and economic progress. We strive to earn and maintain our clients’ and the public’s trust by constantly adhering to the highest ethical standards and making a positive impact on the communities we serve. Our Leadership Standards is a common set of skills and expected behaviors that illustrate how our employees should work every day to be successful and strengthens our ability to execute against our strategic priorities.
Diversity is a key business imperative and a source of strength at Citi. We serve clients from every walk of life, every background, and every origin. Our goal is to have our workforce reflect this same diversity at all levels. Citi has made it a priority to foster a culture where the best people want to work, where individuals are promoted based on merit, where we value and demand respect for others and where opportunities to develop are widely available to all.
Reporting to the 2nd Line Senior Operational Risk Officer who has responsibility for oversight of US Personal Banking Mortgage coverage, this position works closely with 1st Line of Defense including, in-business Operational Risk and Control Managers, as well as Independent Risk and other control functions (Compliance, Legal) in carrying out job responsibilities.
The Operational Risk Officer is responsible for effective oversight and challenge of US Mortgage product coverage with a heavy focus on end-to-end Controls, Monitoring and Risk Management of key processes. This role is expected to evaluate key data elements which inform the risk profile of the business and provide insights specific to trends, themes, control failures or Operational Loss Event drivers in support of continuous monitoring and oversight of the product, function and impacting external third-party suppliers. The Operational Risk Officer performs the role through proactive and direct engagement with 1st line business partners through daily interaction and participation in key business risk and control forums.
BUSINESS COVERAGE SCOPE
The scope of this role is confined to US Personal Banking Mortgage and the prime interfaces include but are not limited to:
- Consumer Operational Risk coverage (Independent Senior Operational Risk Managers and their respective teams who cover other Products in US – e.g., Cards, Retail Bank, Operations, etc.)
- PBWM GRC and MCA Challenge team
- Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) from other Citi level ORM functions such as Fraud, Technology & Data Management
- Independent Risk and Compliance Risk Management
- In-Business Risk and Control partners
Governance & Oversight
- Foster strong working relationships with business stakeholders in support of establishing rapport and being viewed as a trusted risk resource and advisor while maintaining and protecting the integrity of an independent, second line of defense coverage model
- Keep abreast of latest operational risk management techniques, industry best practices and trends
- Lead the creation and development of risk and control related presentation materials for various governance forums (at many levels of the organization, including Internal Audit and external regulators)
- Ensure business adherence to operational risk policies, standards, and procedures
- Understand key or material risks which align with Mortgage Product to ensure that the Business is operating within Risk Appetite by leveraging resources and tools to draw accurate and sound conclusions for escalation to business
- Escalate operational risk events within the Business and within ORM as appropriate with thoughtful approach and insights based on use of data
Risk Identification, Analysis & Assessment
The Operational Risk Officer leverages all the core tools that are part of the ORM framework viz., the Key Operational Risk Identification and Key Risk Indicator monitoring process, Scenario Analysis, Manager’s Control Assessment Challenge, Internal and External Loss Analysis as well as Risk Reviews to provide effective oversight and challenge of first line of defense. Risk identification, analysis and assessment of current and emerging issues also requires working with Specialists in other second lines of defense as relevant for individual risk types associated with the business or product. Specifically, the role will require the Risk Officer to:
- Proactively analyze various data sources to form an independent assessment/opinion of operational risk with prompt and effective escalation to business leadership
- Assess external Third-Party suppliers – including those which provide technology solutions
- Identify emerging operational risks by relying on monitoring of trends and mining of relevant metrics including business self-assessment, Internal Audit reviews, Regulatory exams, internal and external loss data.
- Continuously assess, monitor, and effectively challenge USPB Key Operational Risks and related Key Indicators to ensure the Business is taking appropriate action to establish Path to Green or effective remediation where Mortgage control failures are a driver.
- Support Operational Risk Reviews as well as Risk and Control framework assessments to proactively identify significant potential risks in the Business and develop specific recommendations for the Business to action.
- Identify changes in business strategy or relevant regulations that may lead to an increase in Operational Risk
- Analyze horizontal Lessons Learned reports completed by the business to ensure that evidence of risk mitigation is evident where action is required.
- Support USPB Scenario Analysis assessment efforts where there are active and open scenarios which require monitoring
- Challenge business proposed solutions to root causes of Operational Risk Events or control failures
- Assess business changes where improvements are required to strengthen risk identification tools
- Work as an independent partner to ensure that the business process controls mitigate risk and propose improvements to controls and/or monitoring proactively to prevent operational losses.
- Challenge business level Issues and Corrective Action Plans to ensure adequate severity level setting, reasonable target dates and effective corrective action plans.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, or another relevant field preferred
- Work experience of 7+ years in the financial services industry with deep knowledge of Mortgage products and prior experience in Operational Risk Management
- Well versed in breaking down complex matters into core issues and root causes that can be more readily addressed and effectively articulated
- Foundational knowledge of business self-assessment processes (RCSA/MCA) viz. bottoms up risk assessment program experience
- Independent thought leader with ability to effectively identify key operational risks which are most impactful to Consumer Mortgage business
- Ability to lead credible challenge and effectively influence and convince business to improve Controls gaps are identified
- Effective partner with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across different teams, functions, and Lines of Defense.
- Exceptional organizational, communication and presentation skills
- Proficient in MS Office applications necessary for executing on job responsibilities – especially PowerPoint and Excel
- Excellent data / quantitative analysis skills
- Superior writing skills in support of high-quality risk summaries which inform presentations that feed into Operational Risk Reviews, Regulatory updates, or Governance forum summaries
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, drive and manage multiple initiatives in parallel with compressed timeframes
Job Family Group:Risk Management
Job Family:Operational Risk
Time Type:Full time
Primary Location:Irving Texas United States
Primary Location Salary Range:$106,630.00 - $159,940.00
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries ("Citi”) invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi.
View the EEO Policy Statement.
View the Pay Transparency Posting
Effective November 1, 2021, Citi requires that all successful applicants for positions located in the United States or Puerto Rico be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment and provide proof of such vaccination prior to commencement of employment.
Join our team
strong diverse employees
Socially minded employees volunteering in communities across 90 countries
Meaningful career opportunities thanks to a physical presence in over 95 markets
We foster a culture that embraces all individuals and encourages diverse perspectives, where you can make an impact and grow your career. At Citi, we value colleagues that demonstrate high professional standards, a strong sense of integrity and generosity, intellectual curiosity, and rigor. We recognize the importance of owning your career, with the commitment that if you do, we promise to meet you more than half way.
You have no saved jobs
Previously Viewed Jobs
You have no viewed jobs